Tuesday, May 10, 2005

trade-offs

Time: May 9th- 11.36am
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka

Here I am, sitting in Mom’s room, punching away my latest blog update on MS Word as the Sri Lankan Internet connection sucks. The A/C is working marvellously and I am quite comfortable. My body is very sore as I was moving out yesterday. Carrying boxes and pieces of luggage down the stairs not only makes you look like a sweaty imbecile but also makes you work muscles that have never been worked before, which, in my case, is every single muscle in my body. Therefore sitting on my mom’s bed, what with its special ergonomic mattress and the coolness wafting over me, is purely pleasurable.

So let me tell you about my trip and the events that led up to it. My cousin came around 7.15pm to help me shift out my stuff. I was a bit apprehensive that he might meet K, who had kindly offered to bring me dinner to my room. But thankfully, my cousin just helped me with my stuff, packed up into his expensive convertible and drove away. So K came over and we ate our dinner in peace. After dinner, just getting down to a bit of last minute lovin’ when there’s a knock on the door. A bit of panic but anyway, kept a poker face and opened the door. The said interruption was heavily suspicious but hopefully, with our superbly executed lies, the suspicion was replaced with wide eyed wonderment and normal talk. It felt superbly executed but come now, how dense can people be?

Well anyway, after interruption’s exit, we just fooled around a bit and nothing more. It did feel good but unfortunately, however much I just wanted (needed) to lie there I couldn’t because you know, in these situations, common sense has a way of making its presence felt. After the horniness had faded away, we said our goodbyes and I just had no choice but to get about packing up my stuff. My friend came over and we headed to the airport.

Check-in was not a problem and browsing the duty free at Changi Airport was, as always, quite enjoyable. It really does feel like we’re grabbing onto the final strands of first-worldliness before going back to our underdeveloped nations. Thank God for being Upper Middle Class! I’m sorry, I can’t say I would actually like being poor. Hate me, I don’t care.

The flight itself was not bad. The food was altogether underwhelming. It was curried fish (the other option was beef, which is really strange because I thought that most international flights don’t serve beef or pork in their main courses. I find it severely restricting and very unprofessional. I mean the whole point in offering us a choice is to actually give us two options for the sake of providing an excellent service not for the purpose of covering their bases in case they are not religiously sensitive. Offering fish and chicken both, therefore, is religiously tactful AND is excellent service) with rice. The dessert was some sticky rice like thing in date sauce. Not bad except for the fact that the plane, at the moment I was eating my dessert, ran into a bout of severe turbulence. The plate of dessert jumped out of my hands and thankfully landed safely into the tray but my heart (and recently-filled stomach) did a different kind of jumping about. Seriously it was scary because I have never experienced this kind of turbulence before. It started with the usual mild bumps here and there and then suddenly the plane buckled downwards for as much as 5-7 seconds which, my dear friends, is quite a long period of time. The pilot called for all his crew to settle down to the nearest empty seats but after like two minutes of relative calm, business went about as usual.

Coming back home was quite fun. My friend dropped me and we just laughed the entire trip home. It takes around 50 minutes to drive from the airport to the main city and during that time, we just cracked each other up. My friend’s brother, who came to pick us up, was not too pleased considering he had been forced to accompany the specially hired driver, a complete stranger, to the airport in the middle of night on order of the father!! Hee Hee. Tsk Tsk.

Ok, so I don’t want to be a complete bitch but I don’t like my home. I don’t have a room, my mom and sister don’t get along and my mom doesn’t trust me at ALL. She thinks I’m boinking every single girl in Singapore. Yeah so being home is not all that great after all. I mean, I’m truly glad to see the whole gang again and I AM quite excited to meet my old school friends but for THREE months? Sucks!! God, look at my previous post and you will see how fucking idealistic and optimistic I can get!! But work sounds like a good way to occupy my time in Colombo until August. But knowing my past record that too is also some idealistic notion that is not going to last and work will be quite crap when it starts. Fingers crossed that it’s not.

In the meantime, however, I am quite comfortable. I’m just a person who likes to bitch.

Song of the moment: 911- Wyclef Jean & Mary J. Blige
Background Song of the moment- Kahin To Ho Ga on Star Plus (Mom certainly likes her TV on full volume)
Eating: Small Apple (Better and juicier than any of the bigger and better looking apples in Singapore)

1 comment:

kuriakonz said...

trust me... yeverything changes when werk starts... its veyr ugh!! if it wasnt for the $$$ i am outta here !!