Saturday, May 14, 2005

sarongs, parties, girls

Date: 14th March
Time: 12.10am

Song of the moment: Freed from Desire- Gala

Sarong Party Girls or SPG’s, as we fondly (contemptuously) call them are a certain breed of Singaporean Chinese girls who exclusively date Caucasian men. I don’t know the exact roots of the word but could it have anything to do with Chinese girls waving their sarongs shyly (slyly?) at Caucasian men at parties? Too obvious? Furthermore, Chinese girls do not even wear sarongs…! Hmmm… But anyway, this is way off the point, as usual.

The first time I was out at Carnegies- infamously known among the Indian and Sri Lankan contingents at NUS as the place to get free entry, ladies-night-free-champagne and $5 vodka’s- my friend brought to my attention the activities of some pretty decent looking Chinese chicks. These girls were seriously strutting their stuff in front of 40-something sweaty, hairy and beery British men. The effect was almost comical as they alternated between looking aloof and performing some hysterical dance move more suited to the Lil’Kim’s of the world. Well my friend told me that these girls wanted to get with the ang-mohs (singlish term for Caucasian men). I was quite indifferent to this but my friend pulled me aside and whispered in my ear that in Singapore these girls were all over the place. He even said there was a term that applied to these women. And voila! That is how I found about SPG’s! By the way, just in case you have been living under a rock these past few months, Carnegies has now closed down. Sad times….. A moment of silence please.

In my opening paragraph I mentioned that I fondly look upon them. Before I get to explain why, let me explain why I used to look upon SPG’s with utter disdain. Well, apart from the general perception among Singaporeans about the despicability of SPG’s, my own opinion about them wasn’t so harsh, but nevertheless quite bad. I used to equate these women with being whores and used to wonder why they would so aggressively pursue a white man. I mean we all have our ‘types’ but to actually have a species by the name of SPG, these women have to have been doing something more . You don’t exactly get Indian women being branded as Saree-Prayer Girls or Big-Dong Worshippers, so why particularly Chinese women? Ignore the lame joke.

These are all questions I don’t have the answers to. The answers could probably lie in the over-hype of SPG’s- maybe it isn’t so prevalent-, maybe it lies in popular culture, where the white man is eternally the rescuer of the exotic and petite Chinese maiden. Perhaps the attraction lies in biological fact. Maybe white men really, truly have better endowed bodies (and Asian women have tighter than tight bodies). Maybe, maybe, maybe but that is not the point. My point is that my whole perspective has changed on discovering a particular girl’s blog who unabashedly calls herself a Sarong Party Girl. If you look to the right of my screen, she is forever immortalized in a link that will transport you to a world of titillating delight.

After reading the musings of her life, I have changed my perception of SPG’s. I do not now regard them as the scum of the earth. I realize it’s absolutely NONE of my business to judge a SPG. I’m not going to justify my current opinion but I am however going to ask you to go read her blog as soon as possible.
I just read her blog, laugh at it, appreciate it, express shock and sorrow at it and generally just enjoy it. Reading her blog has definitely become part of a routine that does not fail to interest me.

So cheers to the sarong party girls of our world that just put it out there. Fuck the world. Fuck your enemies. Fuck You. Fuck. Enjoy!

Take a peek into her life. I highly recommend it. I do not sometimes believe all what she says but she certainly knows how to spice up her blog. Some of you might make the connection between this girl’s blog and the life and times of the girls in SATC but instead of questioning the blog as pretentious garbage, just think of the possibilities if we could actually treat Singapore as the New York City of the East.

Woo hoo!

2 comments:

kuriakonz said...

yesus! look at how boredom transforms a weekly blogger to a daily one!

the-lines-of-beauty said...

see what i mean? colombo is fricking boring... it might be my imagination, but it might be getting better... but maybe i'm just being lulled into tolerance/acceptance/delusions?

and oh yes... ur tendency to criticize? jeezus.. why o why do i ask for comments? hurts my pride..

let me try to justify my article.. hee hee i wrote the article when the minister of health gave that ghastly speech about AIDS and the gay community etc.. so the article was supposed to be about how misguided the Singapore government is in regarding AIDS as a gay disease... and therefore thats where number 2 and number 3 of your criticisms gets tied in.. as for the horribleness of the disease.. had to include that for two purposes.. one to get the attention of the reader.. and two to inform the reader of the uselessness of believing stereotypes and stupid speeches given by ministers? i mean its such a fucking brutal and devastating disease, so why fucking waste time pointing fingers?

im sorry but i feel very strongly about this..

however, maybe i didn't link it up properly...

but cheers lah! be safe