Thursday, May 12, 2005

part of labour force?

Date: 11th May
Time: 10.38pm

Song of the moment: You’re Still the One- Shania Twain

I know, I know it’s really mushy. Not my fault my play list keeps throwing these songs at me. I don’t hate this song too much to change it. Actually, contrary to the popular perception that this song is a depressing song, the memories this song evokes are very positive ones. And they’re not even like romantic memories. It reminds me of my trip to Bangalore I think in 1999 or 2000 when we used to just sit around and bitch about stuff in general. This song, I remember was always playing on the radio. Shania Twain was pretty hot, in a popular sense, at that time. Ha ha

I just finished watching American Idol. Somehow watching it at home is not the same as watching it back in Singapore. I think at home it’s like any other TV program because we have sooo much time for television so therefore it ceases to be such an exciting experience. L.O.S.E.R. In Singapore, I shove aside all other ‘distractions’ just to watch the damn program. Today I just strolled lazily from one room to the other to watch it and it didn’t even matter I was about 10 minutes late. Ew. Topics to blog about are severely drying up.

Ah yes, my interview. I woke up around 9am for the specific purpose of calling up Leo Burnett Solutions to set up an interview time. Well, to my shock and horror, I’m told to come at 12pm. Gross. Unfortunately, the shock and horror was not enough to prevent sleep from shrouding me into a bubble of ignorance. Woke up with a start at 10 45am. SHIT. So I hurriedly brush my teeth and complete all the other necessary morning duties: shower, shave, shit etc. I then find out that all my good clothes are at the laundry. Oh great! I have nothing appropriate to wear. So I dig into my wardrobe and pull out an oversize 40cm white shirt and a pair of pinstripe trousers. I quickly change into them and feel very uncomfortable because I really do feel like a P.U.D.D.I.N.G. Rush to interview without tie. Shock! Horror! Faint! I had a gorgeous black tie which has a mix between a matt and glossy effect but unfortunately, I don’t know how to tie it. And my mom, who knows how to tie a kick-ass one, is very slow and I was just toooo late.

I practically fall into the offices of Leo Burnett at 12 15pm. Luckily, I’m not considered late at all! Yay! I heart the lazy culture of SL. My prospective boss, Michael Holsinger, comes out to greet me, very flamboyantly, with a cigarette between his fingers. Things are looking up!!! I’m telling you, the first thought I had in my head was to ask him for a bit of a drag on that wonderful smelling cigarette. (I haven’t smoked since, OMG, 8th May).

Well, he hurriedly tells me the internship starts on the 1st of June. He asks me a few redundant questions which I answer quite confidently even though they are a bunch of lies. For example:

Holsinger: Why advertising?
Me: I have always been fascinated by the world of advertising. Day in and day out we are surrounded by hundreds of advertisements and only a few make a positive impression on us. I would like to find out how companies such as yours design ads that make people look twice at a product offering. Also, studying marketing at NUS has only increased my interest in the area of advertising as it involves getting to know the consumer and this, to me is infinitely interesting.

There were quite a number of errs and ahh’s in my speech but I think the final product was quite impressive. I mean, if there’s anything I can do well, its bullshitting for sure! The sentence is quite incoherent on paper but I think when it was voiced out, without too much analysis, it comes across as quite an intelligent answer. I WOULD never cut corners like this in Singapore, but people in Sri Lanka told me to chill, so I chilled, a bit too much for my liking.

Anyway, I’m actually clueless as to why I chose advertising in particular but it just seemed the most obvious choice especially because I know some friends who have worked there before.

Ok so I am officially almost part of the labour force now! I’m very excited! I get to buy new clothes for office wear and also get to put all those business-like looks I have on my usual countenance to good use. The aloof-look might go particularly well or not. I think I shall reserve the aloof-look for day to day activities and on the dance floor when I want to appear a bit disinterested even though I am interested (horny) as hell. Who says I can’t play games? Ha ha ha.

The heat….is….taking…its….toll….on….me. I can’t stand it. Even in Colombo, you start sweating before you hop out of the shower. The sweat is here to stay. Hopefully the monsoons will hit soon and won’t go away for some time.

Song of the moment: Hallelujah- Rufus Wainwright (just ended) and Tu mile Dil Khile- OST Criminal

1 comment:

sherene said...

Yay, congrats :) Buying new clothes for work is coolness aye? I gotta do that too :P