Monday, August 15, 2005

done to death

I am curious about something. If I was called upon, maybe in a hot-shot advertising agency to formulate a marketing campaign on chocolate how would I go about doing it?

I know the 'sinfulness' of chocolate is a concept that has been done to death. I am tempted to assume that there might be an execution that is still out there which could be quite mind-blowing but honestly I don't think I have the goods to come up with one. I must say however, that brands by the name of Sin, Original Sin and Tempt don't do anything for me. There is so much competition out there these days it terrifies me. It tells me that unique concepts are running out and in the future, whoever has the best technology, best execution (colours, situational difference) will come out tops. Maybe there will be an award titled ''Best Sinful Chocolate Ad".

How about going back to the original consumers of chocolate? Children. Why not come up with something so delicious, so candy-flossish, so Willy-Wonka-ish that children and adults who enter a store will be transported to an old world atmosphere riddled with an array of chocolate so diverse and colourful it would make Absolut's global campaign executives cast their heads down in shame? Strip off the slick, sexual innuendo and introduce a quiet, suburbia, heady kind of feel to the stores and I am sure it will stand out from the intolerable modernity of cities such as Singapore. Harry Potter worked didn't it?

Oh I know, I know, you probably can come up with a million criticisms to my half-measures but I think I would be willing to try it out. To replicate that ol'worlde shoppe atmosphere could be a very big challenge, but I would love for chocolate marketing to return to its roots and forget about trying to get horny by it, give it as a gift on Valentines but buy it just coz it's purely awesome chocolate and visiting the store itself becomes a trip down to those base childhood memories. However, the marketing for this kind of campaign would have to be relatively small-scale coz we would be playing on the atmosphere on the store to a large extent (the taste of course being priority, but there are soo many delicious chocolates out there) and of course, in the day and age of mass marketing, an idea such as this would possibly only appeal to the everyday entrepreneur and not some hoity-toity conglomerate.

But, niche products have done fantastically well in the past so why reject this idea? Of course the idea is far from original but I think it's a good place to start from. Actually, ripping off the idea from Willy Wonka, don't you think that by creating a personality like him, it would do wonders for sales? I mean WHY NOT place golden tickets in your chocolates and instead of offering Samsung phones or iPods, offer a magical tour of some place you have created.

That's the big picture. And in case you wondered and you were really, really dumb, I'm a big fan of Roald Dahl's book, the old movie and the new movie. I do think however, that Johnny Depp although brilliant in his role, doesn't hold a candle to Gene Wilder's Wonka from the original movie.

I don't know whether to take my idea seriously or not. I mean if I took it seriously, then seriously, there would be nothing serious I could do with the satisfaction of taking it seriously cuz seriously, I have no resources.

No comments: