Monday, October 16, 2006

magical thinking?

Sunday night. Whether you are working or as free as a bird (like me), Sunday nights always have their own little touch of melancholy attached to it. I don’t have work to do tomorrow but somehow I’m just filled with a little bit of foreboding about the week ahead. Maybe I’m afraid that my holiday is rushing by too fast. It’s already a week since I’ve been home and it’s scary that soon enough, I will have only one day in Singapore to get my life in gear for a completely new job. Ah well. It’s still 3 weeks away. :)

Recent happenings:

Friend’s birthday celebration. It was quite refreshing to attend a dear friend’s 24th birthday celebration and not be tempted by the 3-4 different types of alcohol making the rounds. This does not mean that I resisted the temptation to drink the said liquids and that it was a victory my conscience was proud of but because the abstinence was caused by extraneous factors such as the said liquids being conspicuous in their absence. However, I had a brilliant time socializing with people I barely knew and bitching and perving about them with people I did know. My friend’s mother had cooked a delicious Sinhalese meal and we stuffed ourselves to the point of not being able to take much of the equally delicious chocolate mousse and strawberry jelly. Many pictures were taken (with people screaming incessantly at me to show my teeth) after which a few of us retired to one of the more happening (!!) places in Colombo (read: Coffee Stop @ Cinnamon Grand) to smoke, drink coffee and eat cake.

Was invited to be seen by my sister’s boyfriend’s family at their house on Sunday evening. I was a bit nervous about this encounter but it turned out perfectly well and I am sure they loved me. Ha ha. My sister always scolds me for looking and being really unfriendly but I think I proved her wrong this time. Again, it was all about the food with both my sister and I being stuffed with chicken kebabs, dhai vada and fried chicken. After making a killing on that we were served with vanilla ice cream with lychees. Simple stuff like this always makes me feel soooo good. How can one choose tiramisu’s and crème brulee’s when there is always the option of eating plain ol’ strawberry or vanilla ice cream with some fruit??

Was gifted a new phone by sister and mother. Early birthday present apparently. Seriously, I don’t deserve them. It’s a beautiful ultra thin Samsung phone and I hope we are going to be really happy together.

Finished The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. The author constructs and reconstructs her feelings of grief following her husband’s sudden death while her daughter is lying in a coma due to septic shock. She uses the words magical thinking to describe her feelings of insantiy and denial that led her to believe that her husband would come back even after she was told he was dead. B+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I didn't notice your rather smug comment about creme brulee vs ice cream w/ fruit.

SAF

Anonymous said...

Ooooohhh new phone!!!