Monday, February 28, 2005

predictions

the oscars are exactly 60 minutes away. unfortunately, i shall be in class at that time and i will be missing 3 hours of the most awaited, most elitist, most important show of the year. sigh. i will, instead, be listening to a lecturer talking about career management. it sucks.

anyway, just to make it a little more fun for me, i'm gonna do a whole prediction thing. i'm gonna list down the 6 categories and give my opinion (rather, i'll just state) on who will win, and my who should win (my personal favorites).

i really don't know what good this will do, or what it will accomplish, except that it'll just be nice to feel as if i contributed more to this event since i can't bloody fucking watch it coz of fucking coma-inducing class.

Best Picture

Who Will Win- Million Dollar Baby (I really want to be proved wrong with the below choice)
Who Should Win- The Aviator (actually, it should be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind u vile mo fo's.)

Best Director

Who Will Win: Martin Scorcese, The Aviator (mr.oh-so-fucking-old-&-smug Clint might pull off an upset here too)
Who Should Win: Martin Scorcese, The Aviator

Best Actor

Who Will Win: Jamie Foxx, Ray (duh!)
Who Should Win: Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda or Leonardo Di Caprio, The Aviator

Best Actress

Who Will Win: Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby (I want to hate her. But I can't coz I haven't seen her performance. And it's pretty amazing to have ONLY got good reviews from ALL the critics, so I'm gonna give credit where it's due)
Who Should Win: Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (or the above, I really really don't mind)

Best Supporting Actor

Who Will Win: Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
Who Should Win: Clive Owen, Closer

Best Supporting Actress

Ok I'm gonna reserve my comments for this and I'm just gonna make a few comments about every performance in this category. I love all these performances. They were fucking brilliant. Laura Linney in Kinsey was amazing, she portrayed her character with oodles and oodles of intelligence with a little bit of horniness and a lot of repressed hurt masked in subtler overtones of angry repression. Cate Blanchett was brilliant in The Aviator. I've never seen K.Hepburn in action on screen but I could see that what Cate was doing was amazing, i.e. playing a character with seeming effortlessness (and so entertaining). Sophie Okonedo from Hotel Rwanda.. sigh.. i watched this movie and remember thinking why in hell had she been ignored from all the other awards... and i was fucking delighted when i heard she got nominated for this movie. Her performance is heart wrenching, strong and displays everything it should: love, desperation, selfishness. The above two, Linney and Blanchett are two of my favorite actresses, but if Okonedo wins, i will cry.. with joy. Last of all, Natalie Portman from Closer was hilariously good. This girl, the Star Wars girl, was very very very very convincing in this movie. I can't really describe her performance as anything but being the best (along with Owen) in the film and it certainly could be the best of the year. I love her line, 'slap me fucker' at the end of the movie. she says fucker soooo eloquently. i respect her. and she's totally and completely angelic-hot. she definitely is the Blower's Daughter (ha ha, jock-type inspired joke)

Ok, i'm late for class. Let me see if i can rank the above performances, however difficult that might seem.

1. Natalie Portman
2. Cate Blanchett
3. Sophie Okonedo
4. Laura Linney
5. the girl from Sideways

Ok.. ciao. Hopy my predictions are correct. I'm gonna die if Winslet wins.. i hope she looks as gorgeous as ever tonight.. sigh

No comments: